Saturday, June 25, 2011

{whitewash renewal}...

This is the finished result. 
 Scroll to the last photo and you will
see it's quite a change, especially
when you consider it's not solid wood. It's original finish was veneer.
I did 3 separate color coats, plus a chalky primer to help hold to the painted surface underneath.
The base layer was the bluish gray.
Then I did a light whitewash with the white.
It was pretty.  But I wanted something that looked old, worn, and more like wood. 
So I went back to the paint store and got a really dark black brown paint.
I then applied it using a dry brush method.  Following quickly by wiping it off with a damp rag to soften and remove most of the dark color.
 I didn't really know what I was doing but I like how it came out.  I have other pieces I want to whitewash so I used this piece to experiment on to develop a technique to use on the other real wood pieces.
The technique worked out well but I may want to make the brown paint either the first or second coat rather
than the last coat.
Sorry, I don't have any photos of the steps. I had to work very quickly. With 0% humidity and a temp of about 90 degrees the paint was drying within seconds not hours. This may actually have been beneficial.
Or, I simply adapted my method because of the weather conditions.
Either way it was painted, dry, cleaned up and done in no more than 2 or 3 hours.
 
 I may yet add another very light coat of the white to this piece.
But for now I really like how it came out.
Yep ~ this is the before.  It was giving to me, free about 20 years ago.
I painted over the really ugly veneer and I was never quite sure how well
that paint job would last.  But it held up and I expect the new paint job will too.
It was always a good storage piece.  But never really a pretty looking piece.
But now I think it is.  I'm really glad I kept it.

No comments: