Saturday, February 12, 2011

{Gathering the Fabric and Creating the Patterns}...

Getting a new quilt shop in town helped in gathering enough
coordinating fabrics for the quilt.  But which ones for what?
Pinks and browns, blues or
blacks and grays with a bit of teal?

The teal wins!
 I tried out several body shapes.  I finally decided to go with just the upper body as
I would prefer the quilt not be long and skinny.  At least not this time.
I removed the wings from the original painting so that I could
add larger wings to the quilt surface.
Also with the magic of PSE I was able to change the background of the painting
to match the fabric nearly perfectly.  Now that's just plain cool.  I love it.
The body fabric when just laid down to get an idea of
the fabric combinations I want to use is not as curvy as the paper pattern
which I just might like better.  We'll see.
So now I just sit with it for a while longer as she continues
to speak to me before proceeding to cutting it all out.


Becca said...

I love what you are doing here! I can't wait to see it finished. Your portraits are so lovely and makes me wish I could paint.

Yvonne said...

I love this! Turning your painting into an art quilt is great fun! I create art quilts and do watercolor and dye my own fabric, so I hav been thinking of doing this myself. I look forward to your results.